Saturday, January 12, 2008

Yummy Fish Curry

I love curry and today I was determined to make my fish curry dish. Instead of taking the easy way out by using curry paste or curry powder, I decided to make my curry from scratch by using turmeric, cumin and tamarind paste. So off I went to the Chinese grocery store at World Square and bought my first packet of turmeric and my first bottle of tamarind paste. It was also my first time in using coconut milk in my cooking. You see, I have a tendency to feel a little sick (racing heart beat) if I consume too much coconut cream/milk so I have never used these condiments in my cooking. But what's a curry dish without a little bit of coconut milk right? Instead of using normal coconut milk, I used AYAM's Light Coconut Milk in this dish. It has 55% less fat than the normal coconut milk so why not try this out? It's a less fatty option and having less coconut content in it means I have less of a chance in getting sick.





Yummy Fish Curry
serves 2
2 small onions
1 large ling fish fillet (around 600gm)
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp tamarind
2 red chilli (I used chilli flakes - add according to your own taste)
1 small old ginger
1 small bunch of coriander
1 can AYAM Light Coconut Milk (270ml)
375ml fish stock
salt to taste

- Cut fish into chunks, add 1 tsp of turmeric and a little salt; coat the fish and cover with glad wrap; put this in the refrigerator until ready to stir-fry
- Slice the onions and stir fry with a pinch of salt until translucent
- Add in 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of ground cumin, chilli and ginger to the onions
- To this mixture, add in the full can of coconut milk, 1 tbsp of tamarind, and fish stock
- Bring the mixture to the boil
- When the mixture is boiling, add in the fish and the chopped up coriander stalks
- Let this cook until the fish is ready, then simmer for another 5 mins; add in the chopped up coriander leaves just before serving

I served this dish with jasmine rice and some steamed bok choy.


This curry was really easy to make, delicious and full of flavour! It only took me 30mins to whip up this dish plus rice and bok choy. What a quick and easy dinner. Try this. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: