Sunday, January 20, 2008

Turkey & Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

Hubby and I had a late lunch at Sushi Bar Makoto today at Chatswood. This is our favourite sushi bar (and understandably, the most popular sushi bar in Sydney). There are 2 Makoto sushi joints in Sydney, one in Chatswood, the other is in the city. This sushi joint is usually packed out at lunch/dinner and waiting in line for half an hour or more is considered as normal. There are reasons why I think they're so popular (1) the fish they use is very fresh (2) they don't give you a thin lousy piece of fish like most sushi bars, and (3) they are always coming up with some new sushi combinations. This sushi bar has never failed us.

By late afternoon we were still feeling quite full from lunch. I'm not one to skip dinner so I decided to make us a light summer salad. We had some leftover turkey in the fridge - not alot left but we shouldn't let it go to waste. So what's a girl to do with some leftover cooked meat in the fridge? You can't do much with it other than to make sandwiches out of it or to chuck the meat in a salad.

This salad is a great refreshing summer salad. I tossed the turkey pieces together with rice vermicelli noodles, cucumber, carrot and mango then combined this with a sweet and sour dressing. An extremely easy and light salad to make and perfect for summer.



Turkey & Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
(serves 2)

100g dried vermicelli noodles
1 cucumber
1 carrot
1 mango, sliced
cooked turkey meat

Dressing
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tbsp honey
3cm peeled fresh ginger, grated
1 chilli, chopped finely
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
juice squeezed from mango pip

- Combine lime juice, honey, ginger, chilli, fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and mango juice in a bowl. Set aside
- Place vermicelli in a large bowl and pour over enough water to cover. Set this aside to soak for 5 mins or until the vermicelli is cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Cut the cucumber and carrots thinly
- Slice the mango into strips then scoop out the flesh
- Combine the noodles, cucumber, carrots, mango and turkey together in a bowl, toss with the dressing and serve; sprinkle in some pepper if desired

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty damn good. Been looking around for something similar my momma used to make me and this was close. Instead of Vermicilli, I used lettuce and I also added peanuts. Taaaaasty!

Anonymous said...

I am not really capable of following recipes exactly.....but I just made something inspired by this recipe and I Like it a lot and so does my husband.
I needed something for a pot luck dinner, I used turkey and a couple fresh mangos, angel hair pasta, Jicama, carrots, green onion, Thai pepper flakes, and a lot of fresh Cilantro. Love the honey lime ginger dressing very fresh and summery.