Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lemon Cookies

I noticed that we haven't been buying any biscuits or snacks at home recently so I decided to make these cookies so I could snack on them when I get home after work (and just before dinner time - I get really hungry during this period!). Also my parents stayed over at our place last night so I thought it would be nice for them to arrive at our place to a welcoming smell of freshly baked cookies :)



The recipe I used here was from Nigella's website http://www.nigella.com/. As I was rolling these cookies into balls, I decided to make some with jam drops in the middle just to make some look a little different! I love the lemon-y smell of these cookies.


Lemon Cookies

(makes 18)

110g butter softened plus extra for greasing
1 lemon
50g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling out the cookies
icing sugar, to sprinkle (your choice)
raspberry jam, for jam drops (your choice)

- Preheat the oven to 190c. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside
- Using the side with the smallest holes, grate the peel from the lemon and set aside
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy
- Add the lemon zest and flour to the mixture and mix thoroughly
- Put some flour on your hands and roll 1 teaspoon of the mix into a small ball; place on baking tray
- Flatten the balls to cookie shapes with a fork, or you can flatten them using your hand
- If you are making jam drops, fallen the ball using your hand then by using the back of a chopstick, put a small hole/indent to the cookie; put jam in the indent
- Bake cookies for 8-10 mins until golden
- Cool on tray for 10 minutes then move them to a cooling rack
- Sprinkle the cookies with icing sugar if you wish

No comments: