Sunday, March 9, 2008

An Afternoon Hanging Around Glebe

It's been over a week since I've last posted. I've been really busy lately and haven't had the chance to cook much last week. I wonder if anyone missed me :)

My hubby and I ventured out to Glebe late Saturday afternoon to check out the Glebe Market. This Market is open every Saturday and it's a great place to look for vintage items at bargain prices as well as pieces from aspiring designers. There are also food stalls at the Market and one of them worth mentioning is a Turkish pide store that is always there without fail every Saturday. More on this in a minute.

First, let me share with you on my experience at the Fair Trade Coffee Co - a cafe on Glebe Point Road, located not far from the Market. My hubby and I came here before we went into the Market because by the time we got to Glebe, it was already 3pm and I was starving. It would've been 24hr+ since I last had food in my stomach. The only thing that kept me going til 3pm was water. So I was getting cranky and needed some food desperately. We headed into the Fair Trade Coffee Co. and I immediately ordered their Buckwheat pancake with strawberries & apples (asking them to bring me honey instead of maple syrup) whilst hubby ordered toasted sourdough with butter & honey and a flat white. Our orders came after 20mins and I was totally disappointed at the sight of my pancakes and my hubby's toast.

This is a photo of the pancakes:

The presentation of it was not good. The dish came with 3 pancakes and on top of each pancake were slices of strawberries and long thin slices of Granny Smith apples. When I ordered, I asked for honey instead of maple syrup but a small ramekin of maple syrup came with the pancakes instead so the waitress had to go back into the kitchen to swap it with honey. A minor mistake is OK with me. Since I was already starving by the time my pancakes arrived, I dug into it even before the waitress came back with my pot of honey. OMG, these pancakes were the worst pancakes I have ever tasted. First of all, it was cold..ok, a little lukewarm...secondly, it was slightly burnt...and the third point I want to raise is that they were tasteless and dry, like chokingly dry. The honey didn't make them any better so I ate 1.5 of them and got my husband to eat the rest but all he did was to eat a small piece of it and left the sorry looking pancakes on the plate.

As for my husband's toasted sourdough bread with butter and honey - sorry we didn't take a picture of it so trust me on my description of it. When his order came, he wasn't given a butter knife so he had to ask the waitress to go get one for him. But the most shocking thing was the size of the order - 2 tiny, thin pieces of toasted sourdough bread were laid out on the plate and they just looked so tiny on a normal sized plate. I can't remember how much it was but our reactions were "gees, we paid money for this?! why are they soooo small?!" I felt jipped, so jipped. The only thing that was good was the coffee. Well I thought it was good because I like weak coffee but hubby said it was just alright...and he's a coffee drinker so he knows coffee way better than me.

I wasn't satisfied after our cafe experience. I was still starving and was getting even crankier. So we headed off to the markets and I had to find the food stall I can always rely on for a quick and tasty meal. I headed directly to the Turkish pide store (run by 2 Turkish ladies - I think it's a mother & daughter team) and ordered their vegetarian pide. They sell 2 types - (1) Spinach & Fetta (2) Spinach, Fetta & Lamb. I ordered the Spinach & Fetta pide. As soon as I gave the lady my money, her mother chopped the pide into 6 pieces and placed it on a plastic plate and topped it with a sliced piece of lemon. Oh it smelt soooo good and it was pipping hot. We found a spot near the lawn and sat down to enjoy this somewhat oily but delicious pide and did some people watching. Here is a photo of the pide. It totally satisfied my empty stomach. I didn't need any fancy buckwheat pancakes, a pipping hot & oily pide did it for me that day.


The Fair Trade Company Co.

33 Glebe Point Road
Glebe NSW 2037
Phone (02) 9660-0621

The Glebe Market
Glebe Public School
Glebe Point Road
When: Every Saturday
Time: 9.30am-4.30pm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a good story teller thought you have been away on vacation :):):) glad to see you back

Ah Chi

Anonymous said...

hey,

sorry to hear about your pancake drama. think their food from coffee and tea exploited countries would be better like the massuman beef curry from malaysia or their thai custard in a pumpkin.

cheers,
terry.